Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs

For information on the U.S. visa process and to make/cancel/reschedule visa interview appointments, please visit

Contact & Inquiries

If you need help with your visa application or want to learn more about obtaining a visa to travel to the United States, please contact the call center. Visa application customer service agents can assist you by:

Address & Hours

Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait
Bayan, Block 6, on Masjed Al-Aqsa Street (302 Bayan)

**Please note that we are closed on American and local holidays

***Consular items for drop off/pick up are acceptable on: Sunday –-Wednesday, 1-2:30pm, Window #2


COVID19 Testing General Visa Information Visa Refusals Business/Tourist Visa


Work Visa Student Visa


Exchange Visitor Visa


Transit/Ship Crew Visa


Track My Passport


Application Profile


Immigrant Visas




Q: They told me my visa would take a few days.  It’s been two weeks and they still haven’t contacted me.  Is everything okay? A: In most cases, this is due to administrative processing. 

Q: My case is in administrative processing.  Is there something I can do to speed up the process?  A: No, we will be in touch with you as soon as processing is complete.

Q: My passport is expired but my U.S. visa is still valid.  Do I have to apply for a new U.S. visa?  A: Your U.S. visa will be valid until it expires, regardless of the passport’s expiration date.  If your passport expires, you should travel with your new passport and your old passport with the U.S. visa in it.  If there is a difference in biographic information (name spelling, date or place of birth), you need to apply for a new U.S. visa.

Q: My visa will expire in a few days.  Can I still travel with it to the U.S.?  A: You can use your valid visa to enter the U.S. up to and including the last day the visa is valid.  At the airport of entry, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection immigration officer will decide the length of your stay.

Q: The SEVIS number in my visa is different than the SEVIS number in my I-20.  Is that okay? A: If you have a new SEVIS number for a new I-20/DS-2019, you need to apply for a new F or J visa.

Q: I have urgent travel needs – how do I request an emergency appointment? A: You can apply for an expedited appointment via under “Nonimmigrant Visa Application,” or follow this link.

Q: I am traveling for emergency medical treatment. What if I need to extend my stay? A: If you need to extend your stay, we recommend applying with U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States after your authorized period of stay expires, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. To file for an extension or learn more, click here.