Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically.  Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download.  To start, go to to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States.  We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January.  You should include your email address on the form so it’s easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem.

The FVAP website contains valuable information on all aspects of the absentee voting process, particularly the on-line version of the Voting Assistance Guide (VAG), which is an essential tool as voting regulations and procedures vary from state to state, including deadlines for submitting applications.  The VAG also indicates if the FPCA or Absentee Ballot must be notarized or witnessed, a service that will be provided at no charge by the Embassy or Consulates.

The Consular Section’s American Citizen Services Unit can help facilitate voting overseas by accepting absentee ballots and mailing them to local election officials in the United States.

You can vote absentee in any election for Federal office if you are a U.S. citizen 18 years or older and are a U.S. citizen residing outside the United States.

Your “Legal State of Residence” for voting purposes is the State or territory where you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. This applies to overseas citizens even though you may not have property or other ties in your last State of residence and your intent to return to that State may be uncertain.

When completing block 5 of the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request (PDF 135 KB) form, be sure to enter the entire mailing address of your last residence, including rural route and number. That address determines your proper voting jurisdiction.

Some States allow children of U.S. citizens residing overseas who are U.S. citizens but who have never resided in the U.S., to claim one of their parent’s legal State of residence as their own. Visit for the list of States that permit this.

You may register and request an absentee ballot with a single form: The Federal Post Card Application. This application form is accepted by all States and territories and is postage-paid in the U.S. mail, including the Military Postal System and State Department Pouch mail.  Hard copies of the form can be requested directly from the Federal Voting Assistance Program by contacting

An online version (PDF 328 KB) of the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form is also available. The online version of the form must be mailed in an envelope with proper postage, or mailed using our prepaid return envelope.

Your Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form must be completed, printed, signed, dated and mailed directly to your local election official.

There are no provisions for in-person voting or on-site registration at U.S. embassies or consulates. U.S. embassy and consular officials can assist U.S. citizens in completing the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form or other election materials for their State, witness election materials (if required), and provide other absentee voting information.

Our contact email for voting assistance:

For voting materials, please visit

Most states allow you to return your completed ballot by email or fax.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials, you can do so free of charge at U.S. Embassy Kuwait.  The Consular Section’s American Citizen Services Unit can help facilitate voting overseas by accepting absentee ballots and mailing them to local election officials in the United States.  Please email us at to set up an appointment to drop off any voting-related documents.


Place your ballots in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address them to the relevant local election officials.  Keep the envelope unsealed for security screening.


If it’s more convenient for you, you can also return your FPCA or ballot to your local election officials via international mail or professional courier service at your own expense.