The birth of a child in Kuwait to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy American Citizen Services section for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can only be created at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18.

We recommend applying for your child’s CRBA and passport the same day, and both natural parents should attend the interview along with the child. Future passport applications will require a Social Security number, so we encourage you to apply for your child’s Social Security number by contacting the U.S. Consulate General in Rome Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) as soon as you have your child’s passport and CRBA.  For any questions regarding your Social Security application or benefits please contact FBU Rome.  Please be aware that the name on the passport and birth report will match the name listed on the official birth certificate – additional names, such as middle names not listed on the birth certificate, cannot be added.

Please follow the steps in the document Instructions for Registering a Child.  You may also download the blank forms provided below.  Once you have completed the forms and gathered the appropriate documents, please email with a scan of your completed DS-2029, the DS-11 passport application, and a contact phone number.  We will then schedule your appointment and arrange the date and time with you and review your documents.

If you arrive at the consulate for any CRBA service without an appointment or without your documents in hand, you will be asked to return after securing an appointment. Thank you for your cooperation with this policy, which ensures that services are offered in a more efficient manner, with shorter wait times.

Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview. For more information, please see parameters regarding attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant.