July 6, 2015
In light of the June 26 terrorist attack in Kuwait, we want to remind U.S. citizens of measures they can take to enhance their safety and security. We encourage U.S. citizens to exercise keen security awareness of their surroundings at all times. The Embassy recommends that all U.S. citizens in Kuwait monitor the media for latest security developments.
The following are some measures you and your family can take to increase your personal safety and security:
- Avoid crowds. Large gatherings can quickly become dangerous.
- Keep a low profile. Be aware of how others dress and behave in public and try to blend in.
- Vary your routes and times of travel. Being less predictable makes you more difficult to target.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Understand what “belongs” and what does not.
- Avoid traveling alone. Avoid isolated areas, especially after dark. Tell friends, colleagues, or neighbors where you’re going and when you intend to return.
- Know where you are going and your destination. Find exits and have a plan to escape. Select “safe havens” along your route, such as government buildings, friends’ residences, shops or restaurants, or gas stations.
- Always carry a charged cell phone. Make sure you have programmed emergency numbers in all your family members’ phones.
- Be prepared to postpone or cancel activities.
- Report concerns you may have to the police and to the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kuwait Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait. The U.S. Embassy is located at Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa Street, Block 6, Plot 14, Bayan, Kuwait. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of emergency assistance in Kuwait, you may reach the U.S. Embassy by calling +965-2259-1001 and requesting the duty officer.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.