The recent announcement that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. U.S. Embassy Kuwait reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
These are some measures you can take to increase your personal safety:
- Avoid crowds. Large gatherings can quickly become dangerous.
- Keep a low profile. Be aware of how others dress and behave in public and try to blend in.
- Vary your routes and times of travel. Being less predictable makes you more difficult to target.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Understand what “belongs” and what does not.
- Avoid traveling alone. Avoid isolated areas, especially after dark. Tell friends, colleagues, or neighbors where you are going and when you intend to return.
- Know where you are going and your destination. Find exits and have a plan to escape. Select “safe havens” along your route, such as government buildings, friends’ residences, shops or restaurants, or gas stations.
- Always carry a charged cell phone. Make sure you have programmed emergency numbers in all your family members’ phones.
- Be prepared to postpone or cancel activities.
- Report concerns you may have to the police and to the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait.
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. If you perceive a threat, or are the victim of a crime, in Kuwait, dial 112.
For further detailed information regarding Kuwait and travel:
- See the Department of State’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kuwait Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait, located at Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa Street, Block 6, Plot 14, Bayan, Kuwait, at +965-2259-1001.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- This message may be accessed on the Embassy website,https://kw.usembassy.gov/.