Location: Kuwait, countrywide
Event: Kuwait National and Liberation Days – February 25 & 26
The Kuwait National and Liberation Day holidays will be Monday, February 25, and Tuesday, February 26. U.S. citizens should expect festive celebrations, large crowds, and heavy traffic congestion in downtown and waterfront areas. There will be particularly heavy vehicular congestion and pedestrian traffic from early afternoon through the evening hours on and around the Gulf Road and in Salmiya. In the past, local police have blocked U-turn lanes and intersections on Gulf Road, forcing northbound traffic to travel the entire length of Gulf Road to turn around as well as restricting travel in the blocks adjacent to Gulf Road. Many celebrants engage in water gun fights, throw water balloons, and set off fireworks in the affected areas during these national holidays.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep vehicle doors locked at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry proper identification, either your U.S. passport with current Kuwait visa or your Kuwait civil ID.
- Carry a mobile phone at all times.
- Contact Kuwait Emergency Services at 112 for emergencies.