The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), in consultation with relevant Departments and Agencies, has determined it is prudent to enhance security, to include airport security procedures for passengers at certain last point of departure airports to the United States. These enhancements include more stringent measures applied to 10 specific airports, to include Kuwait International Airport.
The enhancement in security will require that all personal electronic devices (PEDs) larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage. Approved medical devices may be brought into the cabin after additional screening.
Airlines were notified on March 21 at 08:00 EDT. They have 96 hours within which to comply. For more information on these security enhancements, please contact your air carrier or visit the Department of Homeland Security website.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kuwait Country Specific Information.
- We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Kuwait enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kuwait Country Specific Information. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips.