April 30, 2020
As a result of COVID-19, many changes are occurring in the election community. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is working closely with partners at state and local election offices to provide assistance for voters experiencing international mail disruptions, shifting election dates, and other potential effects on the 2020 election cycle related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
FVAP encourages overseas voters to take the below actions to help overcome any potential disruptions to host country mail operations:
- Register and request your ballot through FVAP.gov: If you have not already done so, use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) at FVAP.gov to register and request an absentee ballot.
- Consider asking that your ballot be sent to you electronically: Receiving your blank ballot electronically from your election official is the easiest and quickest way.
- Consider state ballot submission alternatives:Refer to your state’s instructions on FVAP.gov for available options for returning your voted ballot. Most states allow voters to submit ballots online. Check the ballot return options in your state.
If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials, you can do so at U.S. Embassy Kuwait. The Consular Section’s American Citizen Services Unit can help facilitate voting overseas by accepting absentee ballots and mailing them to local election officials in the United States. Please email us at VoteKuwait@state.gov to set up an appointment to drop off any voting-related documents.
Place your ballots in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address them to the relevant local election officials. Keep the envelope unsealed for security screening.
If you’d like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or need help with the absentee voting process, please visit FVAP.gov.
- The Embassy updates the information on its COVID-19 webpage daily so please check it for the latest information on COVID-19 in Kuwait.
- If you have not done so already, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and messages from the Embassy.