Message for U.S. Citizens – Choose Direct Deposit for Faster Receipt of Federal Benefits
December 21, 2020
The federal government strongly encourages federal benefit recipients to choose direct deposit. Direct deposit is the safest, cheapest, and most reliable method of receiving your benefits. The payment is electronically transmitted to your bank account and you have access to your funds, eliminating the risk of missing or stolen checks. The United States Department of the Treasury does not charge fees to make deposits. Local banks may charge fees.
If you are still receiving physical checks, switch to direct deposit by contacting your corresponding federal agency for assistance. General information, as well details specific to COVID-19, for federal agencies is available as follows:
- Social Security Administration: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/
- U.S. Department of the Treasury: https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/cares
- Internal Revenue Service: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments
Also, consider selecting this option when filing your annual tax return, in order to expedite receipt of any refund. Information about direct deposit of tax refunds is available from the Internal Revenue Service.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: https://www.publichealth.va.gov/n-coronavirus
- OPM benefits: You can make changes to your online retirement account at: https://www.servicesonline.opm.gov