Event: The Government of Kuwait (GOK) has reported more than seventy confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders. The Kuwait International Airport will close beginning at 11:59PM Friday, March 13 until further notice to all commercial flights except for arriving Kuwaiti citizens and their immediate family members who are traveling with them. Cargo air traffic will continue to be permitted. Quarantine measures have been implemented to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be aware of current travel restrictions entering and exiting Kuwait, which may change with little or no advance notice.
Beginning Thursday, March 12, all non-emergency government offices will close at least through Thursday, March 26, unless otherwise notified. Schools, universities, and colleges have already been closed by the government through at least the same date. Movie theaters and wedding halls have also been closed until further notice. The U.S. Embassy in Kuwait continues to closely monitor developments related to COVID-19 in Kuwait. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kuwait.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Kuwait, Kuwait City
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kuwait Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Programto receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.